Well, I can now tell you that it takes a special idiot who is very applied at the idiocy to make applied i-cord.
Children's Neck-Down Cardigan, Knitting Pure & Simple
100Purewool 3-ply in "Orchid", 2 skeins (24" chest)
I couldn't get a good close-up shot of the applied i-cord, but let's just say it has been a challenge. I first bound off in i-cord at the bottom and then decided to motor on around to the front edge, where I ran into problems. I think slipping the first stitch on the fronts of the cardigan was a bad idea because that elongated first stitch not a great area in which to pick up stitches. I was slipping the first stitch in an effort to keep that edge clean and allow for better pick up of stitches, but now I see it's just leaving fewer stitches to pick up and making the i-cord too short for the edge and pulling it up.
I'm making this sweater (oh, it's pink!) because I recently got two more skeins of 100Purewool 3-ply and could not fathom the idea of not knitting it immediately. The stuff is that nice. And although, technically, I wasn't sure I had enough for this sweater, I made it work. I decided I would take this opportunity to learn two new things: applied i-cord (hah!), and putting in a zipper. I do have some rudimentary sewing skills, so I'm hoping the zipper business won't be so difficult. Maybe I'm deluded, because I didn't anticipate applied i-cord would be that difficult, either.