Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cheap (Beautiful, Functional) Yarn

So I think I've mentioned that I'm typically frugal. Well, when it comes to some things. Gifts no (don't worry Knitters Treat Exchange pal! I'm taking care of you!), but I do like a nice yarn deal.

Once upon a time at a store that shall remain nameless, I found a few skeins of "Aunt Lydia's Quick Crochet Denim" on clearance. So, as they were a neutral color and a mostly cotton blend, I picked them up. After I ordered Elann Naturelle 8/8, I realized they are basically the same yarn, manufactured, I think, by Jimtex. Anyway, I've always kept a lookout for more Naturelle 8/8 and Aunt Lydia's at good prices. Who am I kidding? I have two young kids and I don't mind knitting with cotton. This stuff washes and wears well.

Last week I scored. I got 7 skeins of Aunt Lydia's in Plum for $2.97 each from Herschnerrs. There are 400 yards in each! That's 2800 yards of this stuff for under $21. I was pleasantly surprised when I received it, too. Nicely flecked with raspberry, pinks and blues. I couldn't get the photo to represent the color quite right. It's darker than this. I might make another Wallaby for myself...
Work continues on the Log Cabin blanket, as well. Also made with, you guessed it, cheap yarn. And cheap yarn on the cone, no less. I have to put this thing down so I can make three swatches in time for a finishing class Wednesday night. I'm so looking forward to this class. Now maybe I can feel confident about sewing sweaters together. Finallly, after seven years of knitting. I think it's about time, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great deal! Good for you. :-)

The log cabin blanket is coming along very nicely!

Sharon said...

Tsk, Tsk, I don't say cheap, I say inexpensive ;-) and when I knit around my Little Miss Sunshine and she "frogs" my project for me by accident I am glad it is inexpensive yarn to begin with.

Love the good deals and I love that blanket!

Diane H said...

I jumped over from MDKAL - I love your wallaby's! I took a stab at one and ripped it out. Seeing you make so many has inspired me again. There is a newborn to arrive soon so maybe if I try the smallest to figure it out, I can move on to the big girls. The log cabin blanket is looking wonderful too.

Kat said...

Bargain! I too love cotton, its so wearable!

Senora Fuerte said...

How is the sleeping chart going? I still make myself sticker charts to help get motivated... I hope it's working for the little guy.

Sally said...

I am all about cheap yarn, especially for baby items and afghans. You need to be able to machine wash and dry it! Every afghan I have made has been acrylic, and all recipients have oohed and aahed over them. So I say, GO FOR IT.