Sunday, December 23, 2007

That's a Wrap

I don't have FO photos of the Reader's Wrap, but it has been finished for more than a week. I'll take some photos of it on my mom. Unfortunately, we won't be getting together until New Year's Day, but it's with good reason. My youngest sister just had a little boy and my parents are spending a few weeks there helping out with her oldest, who is 2.5.

So free I felt after that wrap was done! I cast on a sock, and finished it:
New Sock
I guess I really can't call it a "Finished Object," however, until I finish the other sock. It's made from Duet Sock Yarn (A
Swell Yarn Shop) and the colorway is "Chantilly Lace". Acquired in a swap on Ravelry. I had no idea it would stripe! I do like it. I had been planning these as a Christmas gift to myself, but in my usual manner, I became distracted.

I started an Imogen jacket with the Araucania Nature Wool Chunky from my abandoned Egg Jacket, but in my rush I cast on the wrong size. It's quite an interesting pattern, knit from side to side, but that means instead of looking at the chest measurement for the size you want to make, you need to look at the length first. You can basically make it any width you want (just as if you were knitting "regularly" you could make another sweater any length you want). So I blindly cast on for a 'large' as the chest measurement looked right for me. However, that would make it 31" long, which is longer than I'd like. I'm actually going to cast on for the 'small' size, which sounds incredibly ridiculous, given that I'm 5'10", but it's 25" long and I think that will be perfect for me.

In other yarny news, my good friend Mandy (whom I'm insanely jealous of because she lives in NC where it's mild right now) sent this beautiful skein of handspun merino! Drool! I need to find an appropriate pattern for this...possibly a hat, as suggested.
Mandy's Gift
Thanks Mandy. I love it.

And we've embarked on another home improvement project. Our downstairs half bathroom is the only place in the house that still harbors wallpaper. And hoo. Get ready for this ugliness...(shield your eyes--you've been warned)

Hideous Wallpaper
To top it off, the countertop is wall-to-wall, fake plastic marble swirl and the cabinet is yellow.

Half-bathroom remodel
So we're stripping the wallpaper, taking off the countertop, determining if there's tile underneath the cabinet (probably not) possibly tiling under and putting in a pedestal sink or maybe leaving the cabinet, painting it and getting a new countertop with sink. We'll see how it shakes out. We've got a week.

Oh, and we're planning a family vacation to Jamaica.

Goodbye 2007! We will think of you fondly, but are excited about the prospects of 2008.

8 comments:

Bertha said...

Ooh such a pretty sock! Also, wow Jamaica! That will be fun!

Mandy said...

Yes, it has been a good year, but I'm glad it is time to head on into aught eight.

Congrats on a new family member!

How'd you knit that sock? Toe up?

Jamaica! Any yarn shops there? Just kidding (not really).

Merry Christmas Eve!

And that brings me to the end of my most unintelligible comment ever.

Chrissy said...

One sock kind of counts as a FO. It does look great! I can't wait to see Imogen pics.

Sharon said...

Merry Christmas! Wishing you and your family a very joyous season! and since you are away, Happy New Year!!!

Devonshire said...

Lovely sock - that yarn is yummy. It reminds me of soft fuzzy bunnies. That Imogen is gorgeous. Looking forward to the photos. Hope your family had a lovely holiday!! Are the kiddies enjoying the snow?

Sue said...

Merry Christmas (belated, though it's still the season of Christmas) and Happy New Year! You've been a very busy knitter! Your projects look great, all of them. I especially love your daughter's mittens and am going to go get the pattern right now. Thanks!

So ... snow. Enough, right?! Erg. It's beautiful though, I must admit.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on Imogen! I actually did cast on for the large because I wanted the length but made it skinnier than the pattern called for. Wish there was a schematic or two included but I'm almost finished and I think it's all going to work out!
www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

Sharon said...

Love the yarn the sock was knit in. I'm jealous, but not in a bad way... wish I could get me some of that.