Monday, August 27, 2007

Devil's Lake & Contest Winner

There was a miraculous break in the weather this weekend and we decided to picnic at Devil's Lake. By some ridiculous oversight, we'd never been before, despite having lived in Wisconsin for seven years. We had so much fun. We hiked...

Devil's Lake

Devil's Lake

We picnicked.

On a trail at Devil's Lake State Park

Devil's Lake hike

and I knit while the kids played at the playground.

Nate's Sweater
Photo taken with the help of my Ott lamp, as we're under attack again today by the thunderstorm gods

Pattern: Children's Neckdown Pullover by Knitting Pure & Simple
Yarn: 1 hank of Cascade Ecological Wool
Mods: Added one set of short rows to the back ala EZ

And we have a winner: Bertha, who said, "I think you'll have 15+ yards left!"

Surprisingly, there was plenty of yarn to knit this thing. I didn't measure the leftovers, but in the future I could add on to it with no problem, which is the great thing about knitting from the top-down. When he's 5, assuming my sister hasn't felted the sweater by then, I can unpick the bind-off from the sleeves and the bottom and add a few inches.

So hey Bertha, you want a skein of Curious Yarns' Sock yarn (Ocean) or a skein of Sockotta to add to your stash? Thanks for being optimistic, lady! There was a point when I'd finished the body and still had the sleeves that I felt really dire about the amount of yarn left. Ah, you never know.

Curious Yarns Sockotta

11 comments:

Bertha said...

Wow! Yay, I am so excited! I have never heard of Curious Yarns, but that Ocean yarn is SUCH a gorgeous color, I would love it! Thank you so much!!

Jackie said...

Gorgeous pictures. Love that sweater.

Anonymous said...

That view is stunning! Looks like ya'll had a wonderful day. Love the sweater. I am getting ready to frog my first attempt at a garment. Knit in the round for my daughter. I noticed that several inches back I knit a round in the wrong order. Oh well, I was a little iffy about the size anyway.

jackie said...

lovely setting. very inviting. looks like everyone had a great time. and the sweater is wonderful! congrats!

Angie said...

I've never been to Devils Lake and I've lived here for how long? :-) Great family photos! And a very cute sweater.

jessica said...

What a cute little sweater! I'm glad you had leftovers! Great pictures too:O)

Devonshire said...

You guys look like you had a lot of fun! The sweater looks great.

Kelley said...

That looks like it was a great getaway! The sweater looks great, too.

I'm glad I'm not alone ditching wedding traditions over here!

Kelley

SissySees said...

Congrats Bertha! I'm also glad you had plenty left over.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time! Love that little sweater!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to report that I have never been to Devil’s Lake, either – and I’ve lived in this part of Wisconsin my whole life! How sad is that?! Sheesh. Anyway, we plan on taking our German exchange student there on a fall weekend day to enjoy the scenery and the day. It looks like you had a lovely time ~ joy!