Monday, August 06, 2007

FO: Children's Tunic

It is my tendency, unfortunately, to seek out all that I have done wrong and pick on myself. I will try not to do that here. Because, really, the only thing 'wrong' with this sweater is that it's just too big. When he put it on, he said, "You made it too big, mom." Yes, I did. Guilty as charged. But in my defense, he's growing so quickly that I think I'll be happy it's so big in two years when he can still wear it. The sleeves are rolled up twice. (Oops.)

Top-Down Hooded Tunic
inside, in the air conditioning
Specs
Pattern: Children's Tunic #232 by Knitting Pure & Simple
Yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton 8.25 skeins of misty and .5 skeins of midnight
Mods: I knit it longer than the pattern called for because I wanted to wash and dry the yarn in the dryer and cotton blends always tend to shrink lengthwise. Plus I know my son is not getting any bigger around, only taller. Also the pattern has you knit a facing around the hood that you later tack down and run knitted cord or shoelaces through. I didn't do this, with a nod to safety. There is also a button hole at the neck to close the front opening and I don't foresee ever closing it so I probably won't put a button on it.

Top-Down Hooded Tunic Jogless Join
I also did a jogless join for the first time and am proud of how it turned out.

This boy turns 5 on Sunday. Where has the time gone? How could the days--that seemed to stretch for weeks when he was an infant--be going so quickly now?

He still has the same eyes as when he was four months old.
Yes, he got his first teeth at four months old.


13 comments:

Cass said...

OH WOW!!! it's stunning! It looks so professionally finished! very nice. :)

Cass said...

p.s. your son is a cutie too. :)

Chrissy said...

The tunic looks great. I think it's a really great idea to make it a bit big, because he'll get so much more wear out of it. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great sweater. I would hate to have to undo the sleeves and knit them longer. Good idea. I have yet to get the jogless join right. Yours looks perfect.

KVVS partner

Mandy said...

Absolutely too cute. I think it's okay to point out the things that may have gone wrong with a handknit, but at the end of the day, the sweater is really cute. He'll get lots of wear out of it!

jessica said...

It looks great! I purposly make things big on my kids too, its almost silly not to! Why spend all that time and money for them to only wear it for a year?

Love those eyes ;o)

Sharon said...

Uh first, when did he get so big?! The sweater looks FABULOUS!!! Stop "knit" picking!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a cute kiddo! I think you made the sweater perfectly. I would have knit it extra big too b/c they grow so fast!

Angie said...

That is one great sweater! He'll grow into it much faster than you might want, I'm sure.

Devonshire said...

That looks wonderful! So it is a bit big, at least he will get to wear it for that much longer. Bertha loved your socks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your son is quite adorable, 5 where did the time go....

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous! You did a lovely job. Kudos! Your son is a handsome little guy. :-)

goodkarma said...

What a smart mama, making her boy's hoodie big enough to last! It looks fantastic on him and I'm sure it will be a favorite for a long, long time.

jackie said...

nice hoodie! by the time he is in 1st grade it will be comfortably worn in and very cool to wear. happy birthday to him come sunday. congrats to you both.