Sunday, November 04, 2007

Fall, Unadulterated

This past summer, I spent a few hours cultivating a small garden behind our house. I planted what I could get my hands on, including a few varieties of tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, basil and pumpkins. The pumpkin seeds came from my mother, who is a Master Gardener, and had used a few of the seeds four or five years ago. I doubted they would come up, but two of them did and promptly took over the garden. I had no idea pumpkin vines would spread everywhere. Eventually I got two pumpkins out of them. One of them sprouted over the garden fence, so I couldn't save it from being scratched and bitted by squirrels and rabbits. The other plumped up in our garden to a respectable size. About a month ago, I brought it into our house. It was an eating pumpkin, but I wasn't quite sure how to turn it into a pie. Until I read this.

So yesterday, I baked this:
fall pie

And then I knit a little bit on these:
fall socks

And not to be outdone, the kids had great fun, too.
kidsleaves

I hope you also had a (mostly) perfect fall weekend.

6 comments:

Angie said...

MMmmm. Your pumpkin pie looks delicious! (I'm guessing I'm not alone in that thought based on the state of the pie dish.) Cute socks and very cute kids!

jessica said...

That pie looks heavenly! Your socks are looking good too. Happy and cute kids, what can beat that?!

Bertha said...

Oh man, that pie didn't last long! I've never made a pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin, how does it compare to canned filling? Significantly better?

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I made a couple of pumpkin pies this weekend also. I love this time of year.

Your socks look as good as that pie; although the socks will probably last longer.

Devonshire said...

YUMMY! What a great way to spend the weekend. Your socks are looking great. My MIL is also a Master Gardner. The kids look too cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Perfect, fun, fall weekend! Yummy pie!