Sunday, November 25, 2007

Plowing Through The Season

How did it get to be that time again? That time between Thanksgiving and Christmas that many knitters look forward to and dread at the same time. That time when it seems there are more recipients for handknitted items than hours in the day. The time we spend thinking about our family and our blessed friends.

Thankfully I checked one project off the list. And with a few days to spare! My older sister's birthday is only a week away.

Carrie's Socks
FO: Carrie's Birthday Socks
Pattern: Short-row toes and heals from "Simple Socks: Plain & Fancy" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. P1, K4, Cable on the K4 every six rows.
Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit Mega Boots Special (not a good yarn to cable without a cable needle, incidentally. Rather splitty.)

One down, a few to go.

For the past few years, we've gotten our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. Usually the weather isn't too frightful and the crowds not too large and there are plenty of good trees to be found. This year we wavered, because Thanksgiving was early and we're always aware of a tree drying out and becoming hazardous by Christmas. But we did it anyway. I love that we're continuing this tradition from my childhood, although I swear we used to drive an hour each way to get our trees when I was growing up, and then they were stuffed into the car with us in the back seat, creating a claustrophobic situation like none other I've experienced. I'm thankful we have a great tree farm within 15 minutes from our house.

Christmas Tree
Him, wearing handknit mittens and her wearing handknit mittens and hat.
Yes, we had just enough snow before Thanksgiving to make things beautiful.


6 comments:

Bertha said...

Aw, I love that picture! Such cuties!

Eliza said...

Your socks look great! I love how the colors work with the cables.

Do you decorate the tree this early too? (I am curious as my family is the opposite-- we get our trees at the last minute.)

Devonshire said...

You guys look so warm cozy. Just lovely. Your sisters socks look awesome!! I'm sure she will love them.

Mandy said...

Ah, childhood memories! The thought of kids stuffed in the back seat of a car with a Christmas tree is awesome! I mean, not awesome for you at the time, but awesome story.

I'll be cheering you on to finish that vest. I can't wait to see that one finished!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks. They are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

What great socks! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!